Two month dreadlock update

I realize it’s been a while since I’ve updated on how my dreadlocks are progressing.  It’s a much slower process than I initially expected, but it’s surely been an interesting an enlightening one.  There will be no photos to accompany this post as my hair is currently in a messy ball on top of my head and I haven’t yet showered, but I promise to share some soon.

To be completely honest, there have been days full of temptation to pick up the brush and just end this journey.  There are times that I go on these internal judgments and wonder how I’m viewed by others.  I attended a business lunch for my boss a few weeks ago and I couldn’t help but wonder if people looked at my mess of a hair with the same judgments.  At this point in my journey, I still only have about 10 locks forming, and none of them really are completely “locked” right now.  There are two stemming from my hairline at my forehead that seem to be the most formed.  One in particular has taken on the look of a twisting and turning mountain road, and it’s by far my favorite lock right now.  But it’s beauty is getting hidden as each lock continues to pull other fly-away strands surrounding them into it.  And it takes those random, loose, fly-away strands some time to attach itself to the already formed lock.  And it takes quite a bit of care to ensure that each lock isn’t getting too big, or that they are combining in a fairly uniform fashion.

There are still two locks on the left side of my head that continue to mesh together closer to the roots in an unpleasant way.  Most mornings I wake up with this big brillo pad of a ball sticking out the side of my head and then I have to work them apart from the scalp and wrap them with tiny rubber bands to keep them separated.  But then the rubber bands slide down the lock and before I know it the ball has formed again.  And these two locks would be too big as one or else I’d just have let them tie the knot already.

Indeed, it’s been a struggle at times, and the main thing keeping me from brushing it out is knowing how long it would take to even just get through one.  Plus, I don’t have any conditioner in the house and it would be absolutely necessary if I don’t want to pull out pieces of my scalp. So, I haven’t given up yet, and as much as I would love to be able to run my fingers through my smooth and silky, feminine strands, I’m going to continue to be a mess and see what happens.  It’s just hair after all.

Additionally, I have to admit that I sometimes have a habit of not following through with things.  I start a project and then something else comes up or I lose momentum. I will say that knitting has been good for me in learning the art of follow-through, but I still need to work on this.  For instance, I have a tshirt that I hand-sewed a piece of vintage fabric onto months ago, and it’s still sitting in my knitting bag waiting to be finished.  I also have a cowl that I finished but still need to tie off.  So, yes, the hair needs to finish dreading.  For now at least.  And if I do give in and brush it (or rather, have someone else brush the mess out for me as I’m sure  my arms would be like jello above my head for that long) I won't feel the least bit guilty for not seeing it through.  If this journey is meant to end, it just means that it's meant to end.

Ok, so there’s a little mini-update.  I need to get in the shower and get ready to spend the afternoon at my boss’s farm!  I’m looking forward to an enjoyable, beautiful fall day with friends enjoying the fruits of their labors.  I’m totally stoked (yes I just said totally stoked!) to finally see the farm!  Happy autumn everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

friends

December Reflections - 2016 Edition

The Weight of it All